For those of you who don’t have 8 minutes of your life to waste on this video – here’s the recipe:
How to Make Som Tom
* 1 cup shredded green papaya (Peel the papaya and rinse under running water. Remove the seeds and shred the flesh with a grater).
* 3-4 Thai hot chilis
* 2-3 peeled cloves of garlic
* 1/2 lime
* 2 tsp sugar (we used palm syrup in class)
* 1/3 cup of fresh chopped green beans
* 1 tomato cut in 6 pieces
* 2 tbsp peanuts
* 1 tbsp fish sauce (can sub soy sauce)
* 1/4 tsp salt
Green papaya can be replaced with cucumber, cabbage, carrot or granny smith apple.
Put garlic and chillies into a mortar and mash with a pestle until crushed (or you can use a food processor). Add lime, sugar, peanuts, fish sauce, tomato, green beans and salt – mix together. Finally add shredded papaya and mix together well with pestle and spoon. Serve cold with fresh cabbage, lettuce or morning glory. Eat with sticky rice.